Thursday, March 04, 2010

Strange fortune cookie promotes misgiving, confusion

I frequented a New York City restaurant (now out of business) that specialized in fresh-kill chicken specials and incomprehensible fortune cookies.

On my last night there, I got a cookie with the following fortune:

"YOU MUST GO HOME AND MAKE A CIRCLE OUT OF MINTS. DO NOT HASTE!!"

I went home, as directed, and made a circle out of Altoids.

I left it out on the kitchen table all night long, and let the circle remain there for the next two days.

Absolutely nothing happened as a result of doing this.

2 comments:

Helene Wecker said...

Well, obviously because you hasted.

cactuseaters said...

Oh, I get it now --- so maybe I actually prevented something really horrible because I hasted. That's a possibility, I guess. Maybe I averted some absolutely dreadful thing from taking place that day. In any case, I've saved the Altoids (which are inedible now anyhow.)